Saturday, January 10, 2009

Monkey Boy, East End Brewery Company

This is a year round (hefeweizen) beer by our locals The East End Brewery. For some reason neither of us have tried it, so we gave it a whirl with dinner at The Map Room in Regent Square. We had it on tap. It was really good, but I felt teased by the amount of banana hint. I used to be vegan and if you know any vegans they eat a shit ton of bananas. This is a healthy habit that I have not been able to shake. I want bananas all the time. So when I heard about banana beer. wow, give it to me in a tall cold glass. So i will say I wish it had double or triple the amount of banana. So now I shall begin my quest for more banana beers. I want the Orange Julius of beer. If I was to drink a beer with only a hint of banana and I hadn't substituted all things made with dairy for banana when i was 15-20 years old, then this might be enough banana for me, which really isn't much. I wouldn't go as far to say this is a banana beer, but perhaps I would say it's banana-ey. All in all whatever East end makes i will happily drink it, enjoy it and shut up, nod my head and say, yes this is great. because they do make wonderful beers. I would like to try this again, come summer time when I am sweating. of 5 bananas in a bunch i give it 4, ones that are still green.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, glad you liked the Monkey Boy!

    I just thought I'd mention that the reason the bananas are not over the top on this beer is because we don't add any. No bananas, no banana flavor, no peels. The flavor is a side effect of this particular yeast as it does it's fermentation work. Technically, it's a "banana ester", which is really more of an aroma than a flavor...though you can still taste it in the beer.

    Hope to see you at the brewery some time soon!
    Cheers,
    Scott
    Owner/brewer East End Brewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scott!
    Thanks for that clarification on Monkey Boy. A banana ester, that's amazing. We'll be in sometime soon for some growlers. Thanks for the comment. We'll see you soon.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete