Friday, January 23, 2009

18. Balantine XXX Ale - Falstaff Brewing Co.

First off, Jordan and I haven't abondened this fair blog, we just don't have the internet, and I've been too busy doing actual work at work to blog. Second, this is the blog for the Sunday the 18th.
Since Jordan and I are pretty much officially broke, we've ended our run of winter beers and moved on to the cheap stuff. We wanted to start off with Schlitz, but our beloved Prosperity was all out, so we settled on the cheap beer of choice for our drinking companion, Mikey P. Before we knew it "I guess we'll drink Ballantine since they don't have Schlitz" night turned into "Bally X-treme Night." Ballantine, it turns out is pretty darn good. It's tasty, which most cheap beers are not. We wrote some tasting notes up (and even got a brandy snifter out to smell it) that are lost somewhere, but I think they mostly said: kindof hoppy with a little citrus taste and a little of that metallic smell and aftertaste that you usually associate with cheap beers in cans, but oddly enough this came in a bottle.
















It wasn't particualarly remarkable but really what are you expecting when it costs 2.75 in a bar? So we all had one and then another and another, the final toll was 32 I think. Which led to me learning an important lesson that I probably should have learned long ago: just because the beer is cheap doesn't mean it won't get you drunk and also that I shouldn't drink as much as Jordan or I will feel bad in the morning.















So while not the best beer, it inspired a great evening and would probably be better on a hot day. I think this beer gets a 2.25 out of four drunk friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment