Friday, January 9, 2009

9 - Atwater High Gravity Winter Bock

This is a very drinkable beer. We're having a winter beer during the wintertime and all I can think about are Haley and Jordan's cornucopia of winter beer reviews. Unable to divorce myself from all the previous descriptions of winter beer I can only really say what this beer is not. What it is will have to fall somewhere in between.

It is not sickly sweet or syrupy. It is not too dry...or too wet. Not overly malty or unmalty. It has a spicy smell but absolutely no spice in the taste. It tastes sort of like an alcoholic glass of "jus de fruitcake." There is a bright kick to the taste with very little to no aftertaste. I could drink and drink and drink without thinking about it, but not because it's so amazing, just because it's extremely drinkable. Sort of like how I don't like to eat potato chips, but somehow manage to eat all of the potato chips when they are put in front of me. This beer is the middle of the road, centrist politician of Beertown who is just trying to not offend anyone to stay in office but makes no real progress to all of the important beer issues facing its constituents.

Normally I rate things on a scale of 4, but this beer falls in the middle so much that I have to give it 2.5 or maybe 3 out of 5 undecided beer voters.

Or in honor of our new foster dog, Bjarni...I give this 2.5 out of 4 sleeping dogs lying on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment