Sunday, February 22, 2009

37. Rye Bock Lager - Left Hand Brewing Company

So rye beers might be my favorite kind of beers. I love the spicy kick that the rye adds. The Red Hook summer rye beer that I can't remember what it's called is my favorite rye beer because you can taste the rye but it isn't overpowering. The Founders Red Rye is too overpoweringly rye tasting and is totally unpleasant to drink. With this beer I was hoping for something closer to the Red Hook than the Founders (obviously, because why would I want to drink a beer I don't like), but there was a demented looking goat on the bottle, so I wasn't that encouraged. I tend to write off beers that have dumb animals or things on the label or look like they're trying to be rebelious or something. It turns out that perhaps I should be less skeptical of beers that have "edgy" graphics on the label. I figured that it being a bock would help out with the taste and it did. The beer had a nice red color and a little bit of bite from the rye, but was nice and smooth and easy to drink, just like a bock should be. I can't remember what drank it with, but the beer definitely complemented whatever we were having for dinner. Four out of five demented looking goats I say.
Oh and I forgot, the head on this was interesting. It wa super foamy and then as it fizzled out instead of decreasing evenly like most beers, big craters appeared on the top of the foam and sortof sucked the rest of it down into the beer. It was sortof weird.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Left Hand! I grew up in the town where this is brewed.

    ReplyDelete